by Uzoma on 06/01/12 at 7:10 pm
Do you see what bad governance has caused? Over the years, the government has lost trust of the citizens and no one is ready to believe that this Administration will use the money from subsidy well. We have never recieved anything good from successive governments in Nigeria despite the incesant increase of pump prices of Petroleum products just because of corruption that has eaten up this country Nigeria.
Since the regime of Gowon, Nigerians have witness increase in pump price of Petroleum Products. The reason given by successive government is that it will be used to better the life of Nigerians. It was the government of Alhaji Shehu Shagari and General Muhammadu Buhari that did not increase the pump price of Petroleum products. Here is the chronicle of increase in Pump Price of Petrol since 1966.
1. Gowon Regime (1966) from 5 kobo to 9.5kobo per litre
2. General Olusegun Obasanjo from 9.5kobo to 15.3kobo per litre
3. Alhaji Shehu Shagari regime it remained at 15.3kobo per litre
4. General Muhammadu Buhari regime it remained at 15.3kobo per litre
5. General Ibrahim Babangida regime saw it increased to 70kobo per litre
6. Mr Ernest Shonekan regime of 3months increased it to from 70 kobo to N5:00 per litre
7. General Abacha regime increased the pump price from N5:00 to N11:00 per litre
8. General Abdusalam Abubakar increased it from N11:00 to N20:00 per litre
9. President Obasanjo regime 1999 – 2007 increased it from N20:00 to N70:00
10. President Umaru Musa Yar’adua regime reduced the pump price of Petrol from to N70:00 to N65:00
11. President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan increased it from N65:00 to between N138:00 to N250:00
From 1966 to date is 46 years. Is 46 years not enough to have made us see a meaningful development that will make us Nigerians trust the present government of Jonathan that he will do something with money that will accrue from the removal of Petroleum subsidy if there is anything like subsidy. A friend posted today, 6th January, 2012 and said “Do you see what bad governance has caused? Over the years, the government has lost trust of the citizens and no one is ready to believe that this Administration will use the money from subsidy well.”
In Nigeria of today, there is no visible development. All infrastructures developed before now have all decayed. Industries cannot grow and many have folded up because they can no longer function with generators. Nigerian is the worst country as far as electricity and power generation is concerned. Despite all the money pumped into power generation and distribution, electricity is a far cry in Nigeria.
Every year Nigerian government budgets huge sums of money for turn around maintainace of Nigeria Refineries but none has ever worked in full capacity. The budget for my state is over N300billion but there is no road without pot holes. All the tiers of Government should account for the money they receive monthly before they ask for more.
The major problem we have in this country is CORRUPTION. President Jonathan should probe then cabal that has been siphoning money out of Nigerian government in the name of subsidy. Jonathan should be bold enough to challenge the cabal that has insisted on importation of fuel as against repairing our refineries and refining of petroleum products here. Jonathan should also remove all the people in the distribution of petroleum products. If he will have the courage to prove the activities of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), PPPRA and other agencies that have been in charge of Petroleum for the past 15 years, we will know that he is serious. The National Assembly on resumption should continue the probe of NNPC and its activities. They should also find out who NNPC gives 65,000 Barrels of crude oil every day. EHNOUGH IS ENOUGH. WE WANT TO SEE CORRUPTION FOUGHT TO A STANDSTILL AND THE CORRUPT PEOPLE PROBED. THIS WILL MAKE US SURPPOT JONATHAN WHOLE AND COMPLETE.