by LoveU on 05/01/11 at 9:08 pm
World’s most interesting facts about airports!
- World’s oldest commercial airport is still functional and it’s located in Sydney? He began operations in January 1920. The oldest airport in Europe is still functional and it is the airport Schiphol in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, where the first commercial airliner departing from here in December 1920.
- The city Vancouver from Canada has the largest number of airports? No less than seven airports are located around this city, the farthest away is at 59 miles away from Vancouver. Five airports are serving New York City, the biggest one being JFK airport.
- Russian Ulyanovsk Vostochny airport has the widest track in the world. It has a width of 105 meters and is the second longest in the world.
- London’s Heathrow airport is the largest in the world in terms of international passenger traffic? Although the total number of passengers is situated after the two U.S. airports in Atlanta and Chicago, Heathrow is the main crossing point for international traffic.
- World’s busiest airport by number of passengers traffic, is located in Atlanta.Over 89 million passengers travel anually through the airport.
- There are 43,867 airports in the world? U.S. holds 1/3 of the airports, the second being Brazil.The European Union comes third in the top.
- The longest airport track in the world is located in Tibet. The track, which serves Qamdo Bangda airport, has 5.5 km long and is so long because of the altitude (4334 meters) in which planes need more space for takeoff and landing because of thin air.
You might be interested in: