by Steve Weitzner on 10/04/08 at 5:24 am
Haunted areas in the state of Ohio.
Athens Asylum building (Athens, Ohio)
In 1873, the Athens Lunatic Asylum building was built. Lobotomies, electro shock therapy, and other trial treatments were performed on the patients here. Purchased by the University of Ohio, the hospital was closed in 1979 but the building still stands today and is called the Ridges building. It is rumored to be haunted by ghost and other unexplained phenomena.
One particularly haunting aspect of the Ridges is the famous stain. On December 1st, 1978, a 54 year old female patient named Margaret Schilling disappeared. She was found dead six weeks later on January 12th, 1979 in a seldom used part of the hospital on the top floor of ward N-20. After removing her body, her outline appeared impressed on the floor, revealing even her hairstyle and folds of her clothing. Its appearance is not scientifically impossible, because it may have been caused by the decomposition of her body in reaction with direct sunlight from the window. But the stain was repeatedly cleaned, and always reappears, and can still be seen today. Some say the ghost of Margaret Schilling and others who have died in the hospital wander the halls at night.
In 1981, a female college student visited the Athens Lunatic Asylum building. After a short stay, something scared her and she quickly left. That same night, for reasons still unknown, that female student killed herself in her dorm room at Wilson’s Hall.
Strange things have been reported happening here by many people for many years now.
Hannings Cemetery (Athens, Ohio)
One of the five cemeteries of Athens Mental Health Center ,Hannings Cemetery was called the thirteenth most haunted place in the world by the British Society for Psychical Research. Frequent sightings of a phantom man wearing a dark hood and robe and holding a sickle have been seen in various parts of the cemetery. Some people have even claimed being chased out of Hanning cemetery by the evil hooded spirit.
Mansfield Reformatory (Mansfield, Ohio)
The Mansfield Reformatory, (also known as the Ohio State Reformatory) is a historic prison located at 100 Reformatory Road, Mansfield, Ohio, USA. The Reformatory was built between 1886 and 1910 by architect Levi T. Scofield.
The prison was designed in Romanesque Revival style to look like the old world castles and cathedrals in Germany. It was built on the site of a former Civil War camp, Camp Mordecai Bartley. It is also known for having the world’s tallest free-standing, steel cell block, at six tiers high.